• Contractual litigation
• Insurance disputes
• Insurance disputes
(Please note that past results do not imply that a similar result will be obtained in your case. All cases must be evaluated upon their own merit.)
$425,000 Motorcyle Collision Settlement
Motorcycle collision resulting in fatality. Case settled prior to filing suit.
$400,000 Highway Construction Defect Settlement
Defective highway construction resulted in fatal collision. Case settled prior to trial.
SC Supreme Court Appellate Victory
Obtained order vacating Court of Appeals’s ruling on an evidentiary issue in a major felony trial.
$14.5 Million Jury Verdict
Two-week trial resulting in insurance bad faith jury verdict on behalf of client who had been accused of arson.
Graham Newman‘s work has focused on commercial class actions, contractual litigation, insurance bad faith, and products liability in both state and federal court. His trial court victories have included a $14.5 million insurance bad faith verdict, an $8 million class action judgment, and a $4.75 million products liability verdict. Graham has briefed numerous appeals before the South Carolina Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and United States Supreme Court. He has also argued four cases before the South Carolina Court of Appeals and one case before the South Carolina Supreme Court.
Graham joined Chappell, Smith & Arden in June of 2014, buttressing the firm’s already formidable litigation practice.
In addition to practicing law, Graham teaches an undergraduate legal course through the University of South Carolina Honors College and serves on several boards and committees dedicated to the improvement of the judicial system. Graham has a five year-old son who doubles as his fishing buddy and a three year-old Portuguese Water Dog who can often be found greeting clients in the hallways of Chappell, Smith & Arden, P.A.
Admitted to Practice
- South Carolina, 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 2007
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2006
- United States Supreme Court, 2008
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of South Carolina, B.A. (History and English) 2001
Professional Memberships, Awards and Accomplishments
- Instructor, University of South Carolina Honors College, 2015, 2016
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Board Member, 2012-2016
- Appleseed Legal Justice Center, Board Member, President- Elect
- John Belton O’Neill Inn of Court, 2014-2016
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Publications and Presentations
- “With a New Year Comes New Rules and New Opportunity.” The Justice Bulletin, Winter 2016.
- “Alone in the Valley of the Shadow of Death: A Frank Discussion about Survival.” Florence County Bar Association, November 2015; S.C. Assc. of Criminal Defense Lawyers, May 2015; S.C. Public Defenders Association, September 2014; South Carolina Association for Justice, August 2014
- “CFPB’s Arbitration Study Supports Class Actions.” AAJ Class Action Litigation Newsletter, Summer 2015
- “Avenging Germanicus: the Murder Trial of Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso.” The Justice Bulletin, Winter 2015.
- “The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.” South Carolina Association for Justice, August 2014. Appleseed Legal Justice Center, June 2014.
- “Fighting for Our Soldiers: Litigating the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.” The Justice Bulletin, Summer 2014.
- Legislative Testimony Pertaining to the “Collateral Source Doctrine.” South Carolina Senate Subcommittee, Spring 2014.
- “Mixing Oil and Water: Combining Trial and Appellate Practices.” South Carolina Bar Association, January 2013.
- “The Complete Young Lawyer’s Guide on How Not to Write.” South Carolina Association for Justice, August 2012.
- Legislative Testimony Pertaining to 16 Jade Street v. R. Design Construction. South Carolina Senate Subcommittee, April 2012.
- State v. Samuel, 411 S.C. 602, 769 S.E.2d 662 (S.C. 2015).
- Stevens & Wilkinson of S.C., Inc. v. City of Columbia, 409 S.C. 563, 762 S.E.2d 693 (S.C. 2014).
- Stevens & Wilkinson of S.C., Inc. v. City of Columbia, 409 S.C. 568, 762 S.E.2d 696 (S.C. 2014).
- Kirven v. Cent. States Health & Life Co., 409 S.C. 30, 760 S.E.2d 794 (S.C. 2014).
- Keeter v. Alpine Towers Int’l, Inc., 399 S.C. 179, 730 S.E.2d 890 (S.C. Ct. App. 2012)(vacated upon settlement).
- Ward v. Dixie Nat. Life Ins. Co., 595 F.3d 164 (4th Cir. 2010).
- Temp. Services, Inc. v. Am. Int’l Group, Inc., 388 S.C. 348, 697 S.E.2d 527 (S.C. 2010).
- State v. Herring, 387 S.C. 201, 692 S.E.2d 490 (S.C. 2009).
- Bovain v. Canal Ins., 383 S.C. 100, 678 S.E.2d 422 (S.C. 2009).
- Edwards v. State, 383 S.C. 82, 678 S.E.2d 412 (S.C. 2009).
- State v. Avery, 374 S.C. 524, 649 S.E.2d 102 (S.C. Ct. App. 2007).
- Cannon v. S.C. Dep’t of Prob. Parole & Pardon Servs., 371 S.C. 581, 641 S.E.2d 429 (S.C. 2007).